June 17, 2011
Family Favorite Cinnamon Rolls
- 2 pkgs. yeast
- 1 c. lukewarm water
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 cup milk, scalded and cooled
- 1/2 c. butter
- 3/4 c. sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 eggs
- 7 c. flour
- 2 lbs. powdered sugar
- 1/2 c. + 1 tbsp. milk
- 3/4 stick butter, warm and softened
- 1/4–1/2 c. brewed coffee (depending on how strong you like the coffee flavor)
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- sprinkle of sea or kosher salt
- Pour yeast into a container with the lukewarm water. Add the tsp. of sugar and let stand 5 min. Scald the milk and let cool to lukewarm.
- Cream together butter and the 3/4 c. sugar and salt. Slowly add the eggs, one at a time. Add the yeast mixture and milk. Gradually add the flour.
- Let rise until double the size. Roll out the dough and brush with melted butter. Sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Roll the dough, starting with the furthest edge out, toward you. Keep the roll as tight as possible. Cut the pieces and place in a pan. Let rise again.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 15 min. If not done, check every 5 min. more.
- For the icing:
- Wisk together the powdered sugar, milk, butter, coffee, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt until smooth.