March 23, 2021
Black and White Outdoor Patio or Deck Ideas
Classic and neutral, this black and white outdoor patio or deck plan will elevate your space and never go out of style. It’s stunning and classic!
+This post contains affiliate links.
Planning My Space
I purchased this beautiful Article sectional at the end of last season and that served as my base and inspiration for planning our outdoor deck space this year.
I wanted to stay neutral, while adding some texture for contrast and interest.
I also knew I wanted it to compliment our black house (we painted it last year and I LOVE it). We have a modern mountain home, so it needed to fit with that style.
My main goal when designing a grouping in any room is to create a beautiful space for people to feel at home. I want them to linger and stay fireside all night long. The furniture must be comfortable, and the mood must be warm and full of ambience. This is especially true on summer nights!
Why warmth is needed with black and white
What I love about black and white is the modern feel it creates. It’s classic, bold, and beautiful. But it’s not warm. Warmth is added using textures, wood, tactile elements, plants, and lighting / fire. Notice the rattan, fringe, textured pillows, plant, and lighting (the fire and the string lights).
Pairing the modern black and white with the more earthy elements creates a stunning, inviting, and fresh patio. It feels high style, but maintains the “home” feel that is important to me.
Begin with a design plan
I don’t make most purchases until I’ve created a design plan. Seeing all of the elements together visually before I spend time and money is key. It’s much easier to see what works on paper, rather than bringing a huge rug into the space to “try it out.” I offer design services if you need help with this.
Do you want to know what I chose? It took me hours. Let’s go!
The Outdoor Patio Sources
- Article Urba Sectional Sofa with Chaise – This is a deep slate color with a black rattan arm and wood slat legs.
- Outdoor black and white striped boho This pillow brings pin stripe and pom pom fringe to the party. Love the boho vibe.
- Subtle diamond patterned throw pillow with black stripe This pillow serves as basically a solid but with some interesting detail that makes it a fun player on the pillow team.
- Woven stripe outdoor black lumbar pillow I wanted a deep black pillow on the slate gray sectional to reinforce the black accents. The lumbar shape adds some interest as well.
- 20 inch square Marled stripe outdoor pillow This pillow adds a classic look to the pillow team. It feels very Cape Cod.
- Neutral Raffia outdoor pillow Probably my favorite pillow of the bunch, this adds needed texture that mimics the egg chair.
- 48 ft. outdoor string lights with 15 Edison bulb sockets String lights are simply a must on any patio. I like the classic look of these.
- Modern Patio Egg Chair The design of this chair is elevated from the classic egg chair and it fits two people, which is a fun twist. The texture on the frame adds warmth and charm to any outdoor space.
- Woven striped outdoor throw I plan to put a few of these on the patio for people to use on cool evenings.
- Black and white fringe outdoor poof Every room needs some fun surprise elements that make the space unique and interesting. This poof does the trick. I ordered two for extra seating and for those sitting in the egg chair.
- White concrete propane fire table The round shape of the fire table pairs well with the sectional and egg chair, and the white adds needed contrast. I prefer a fire table over a low fire pit. People can put their feet on it, set glasses on the rim, and use it as a table when it isn’t on.
- Faux Yuka plant A little bit of greenery is a must in any grouping. This faux plant looks real yet has zero maintenance. I love the look of this popular and trending plant. This is the best price I found on this one.
- Classic Corn Hole set Every patio or yard needs a Corn Hole set. It’s fun for all ages and it gives people an activity to do while they are talking. This one doubles as a tic tac toe game on the underside. I love the classic, upscale look of this set and the easy carry handles. If you store it indoors when not in use it will hold up very well.
- Iron and rattan lanterns Adding more texture to the grouping, these gorgeous lanterns have the added black iron base and handle, which makes them both sturdy and visually stunning.
- Thick woven planter This one of a kind basket is one of my favorite finds for this grouping. Add any faux plant or real plant for a beautiful display.
- Wooden bar cart I like having a place I can put appetizers, drinks, ice buckets, etc. and this does the trick.
- Striped black rug I debated for a long time between this rug and this Venetian rug with thin pinstripes. I would have liked either but ultimately chose to go with the one that had a bolder pattern. I may try the other one down the line!
- Black concrete side table This visually solid black side table adds a nice contrast to the slats in the egg chair and the textures introduced in this grouping. It grounds the other elements.
We are so excited about this outdoor space. Let me know on Instagram if you end up using any of these products for your deck or patio!
[…] finally got all of our deck pieces and I love how our space turned out. You can see my inspiration board in this post. I didn’t go with exactly everything on the board, but pretty close. Doing an […]