This meal is my all-time favorite picnic fare. You will love the texture of the bread, chewy with an herb explosion on the inside, and crisp on the outside. The chicken is tender and flavorful. When I make this for people, they go on and on about it, but it really is so easy to prepare!
Take for an evening concert, a picnic in the park, or a lakeside soiree.Print
Picnic Chicken in a Sourdough Round
- 4 tsp. Italian herbs
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tsp. celery seed
- 2 Tbsp. chopped Italian parsley
- 4 Tbsp. butter or olive oil
- 8 inch round sourdough load bread
- 4 chicken breasts, skinned and boned
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 c. all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1 Tbsp. paprika
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix Italian herbs, garlic, celery seed, parsley, and butter together.
- Cut lid off bread and remove most of the inside from the loaf, leaving the sides. Butter inside with the herb mixture.
- Season chicken with seasoning salt and dip into floured seasoned with salt and pepper. Saute in skillet about 7 min. on each side.
- Place chicken in bread. Put lid on and wrap in foil. Bake for 30-40 min.
- Overwrap foil with newspaper or other insulating material to get it to your picnic spot. Serve each person a piece of chicken and a piece of the “basket.”