Recently I blogged about my latest fascination with Acai Berry Bowls. Since I often follow the Trim Healthy Mama healthy eating lifestyle, this means I can’t mix fats and carbs. The concept of this eating plan is that your body runs best when it is only burning one fuel at a time. So it’s best to eat either protein and fats, or proteins and carbs, but never carbs and fats together.
I find the program to be really easy to follow, and in many ways, has offered a kind of freedom with eating that I have not experienced on other plans. I’d recommend it if you are struggling to lose weight or maintain.
So, that said, I knew I had to come up with a sugar-free, fat-free version that I could have for breakfast on my eating plan. If you are also following THM, this would be considered an E (energizing) meal.
Here is the recipe:
- 1 package acai puree
- 1/2 cup non-fat, unsweetened Greek yogurt
- 3/4 cup frozen mixed berries
- 3 tsp. Truvia sweetener (or other sugar free sweetener of choice)
- 2 stalks mint leaves (de-stemmed)
- 1/2 cup homemade granola (with no sugar - see my previous post)
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/4 cup goji berries
- Blend the acai, Greek yogurt, frozen berries, sweetener, and mint in a blender. The consistency should be thick (not like a smoothie). You may need to add more berries, or ice to make it thicker depending on your blender.
- Pour the mixture into a bowl. Top with the fresh blueberries, goji berries, and homemade granola.