Cut french bread into cubes and place in a dish (use wheat or white). Wisk the eggs in a dish with the milk, half -n- half, vanilla, salt, sugar, and liqueur. Boil the other caramel mixture on the stove.
Pour the egg mixture over the bread.
Top the entire stack with the caramel mixture. Let sit at least 8 hours or overnight.
Bake at 350 degrees for 45 min. covered. Uncover and bake 15 more minutes.
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons corn syrup
- 1 loaf french bread, sliced 1-inch thick with each piece sliced in half diagonally
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups half and half
- 2 cups milk
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Grand Marnier (optional)
- powdered sugar for dusting
- Lightly butter a 9x13 inch baking dish and set aside. Melt the butter and brown sugar with the corn syrup in a small saucepan over medium heat; stir until smooth and bubbly. Pour the mixture into a prepared dish. Arrange the bread slices on top in two overlapping rows. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, half -n- half, milk, vanilla, sugar, salt and liqueur until well combined; pour evenly over the bread. Cover with foil and chill for at least 8 hours or overnight. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. Bake until set in the center, about 45 minutes. Uncover the dish and bake an additional 15 minutes until golden brown. Dust with powdered sugar and serve with sauce from the dish.