We sing Happy Birthday to Jesus every Christmas and this is His birthday cake!
Growing up my mom made a wine cake that was similar to this recipe, and we loved that one too. I’m not sure why we all love alcohol in cake so much, but let me tell ya, it makes an unbelievably moist, flavorful, and unique dessert.
My sister and I, who are normally self controlled eaters, pretty much want to smash our faces in this every Christmas. It’s that good.
Happy Birthday Jesus! Here’s your Rum Cake!
Christmas Rum Cake
- 1 18 ½ oz. package yellow cake mix
- 1 3 ¾ oz. package yellow instant vanilla pudding mix
- 4 eggs
- ½ c. cold water
- ½ c. oil
- ½ c. Dark Rum (80 proof)
- ¼ lb. butter
- ¼ cup water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup Dark Rum (80 proof)
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Grease and flour a 10-inch tube or 12-inch bundt pan.
- Mix the 6 cake ingredients together and pour into the pan. Bake 1 hour and cool.
- Invert on a serving plate. **Note: grease the pan very well so the cake will come out cleanly.
- Glaze: Melt the butter in a saucepan; stir in water and sugar. Boil 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the rum. Prick the cake all over with a thin toothpick or skewer.
- Drizzle the glaze evenly over the top and sides, allowing the cake to absorb the glaze. Repeat until all of the glaze is used up.
- Optional: Top with a seasonal treat: crushed candy canes, candy hearts, cinnamon/sugar/pumpkin pie spice, etc.